Monday, January 19, 2009

A small world of finance

The more I observe, the smaller the world of finance seems to be. This week I have seen 2 new books - "My life as a Quant" by Emanuel Derman, "The black swan" by Taleb. The review of both the books has the author of the other book praise each other. The book "Traders, guns and money" (My all time favourite book) by Satyajit Das talks about both these books in it. Now, a blog I regularly read "www.financialrounds.blogspot.com" talked about an article written by Joe Necera about Risk mismanagement. The article starts by quoting made by Peter Bernstein, an famous financial commentator, on the book "The black swan". Also, "Traders, guns and money" has a mention about Peter Bernstein in its book. Now this takes the cake. I just found out an hour ago that my finance prof. has read all the 3 books "Traders, guns and money", "My life as a quant" and "The black swan". And last week he had given the whole class to read an article called Risk mismanagement(by Joe Necera). The world of finance is too intertwined and everyone seems to be refering to each other.

2 comments:

  1. I will add one more book for you to add in the list of finance books you have read/heard of - Fooled by Randomness, by Taleb.
    [This book has little to with Qunat or anything, but would be so very useful for all the Finance guys.] Try reading it, you will surely not be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. Yes, I have come across that book too- the first bestseller of Taleb. Also, the book "Against the gods" is related to the topic, I guess.

    ReplyDelete