Friday, April 4, 2014

Monitoring Assets, Liabilities and Networth

One of the key aspects of financial success is financial discipline. Financial discipline is about doing things like investing, paying off debts on time, monitoring bank accounts to check for expected dividends, unexpected charged levied, etc. regularly.
Another aspect of financial success is to monitor some key numbers. These are Assets, Liabilities and Networth.

Assets are explained more over here.
Liabilities include loans of all types (home, auto, personal, credit card dues, loan from family and friends, festival advance, etc.) and any amount you owe anyone.

Networth is what you are actually worth after removing your liabilities from the assets.
Networth = Assets - Liabilities

Monitoring these key figures is important for these reasons:
1. If your finances are proper, you should see your Networth increase over time.
2. You know how much you are worth financially or how much is your family financially secure for future needs.
3. You can also monitor asset allocation and do the necessary diversification based on the needs and your risk profile.

Here is an example of how you can monitor asset allocation and monitor the key figures over time.
I. Sample Current asset portfolio:
NSCs          1,00,000
PPF                  5,00,000
Bonds          5,00,000
Fixed Deposits 4,00,000
MFs                  5,30,000
Stocks          1,20,000
Cash             2,50,000
Assets        24,00,000 
The above can be well representated as below in the pie chart:

II. Sample Liabilities:
Festival advance   10,000 
Vehicle Loan     3,00,000 
Liabilities     3,10,000 

Networth = Assets - Liabilities = 20,90,000

To monitor how these vary over time, it is important to take a snapshot of the above figures regularly (say every month end).

You can also look at the trend of your networth along with assets and liabilities:
This is all more of a one-time effort to put the tables and graphs. Then, it is easy tracking your finances and see your wealth grow (hopefully) over time.

2 comments:

  1. My Brothers and Sister all over the world, I am Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada ; i was in need of loan some month ago. i needed a loan to open my restaurant and bar, when one of my long time business partner introduce me to this good and trustful loan lender DR PURVA PIUS that help me out with a loan, and is interest rate is very low , thank God today. I am now a successful business Woman, and I became useful. In the life of others, I now hold a restaurant and bar. And about 30 workers, thank GOD for my life I am leaving well today a happy father with three kids, thanks to you DR PURVA PIUS Now I can take care of my lovely family, i can now pay my bill. I am now the bread winner of my family. If you are look for a trustful and reliable loan leader. You can Email him via,mail (urgentloan22@gmail.com) Please tell him Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada introduce you to him. THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody, My name is.Mrs.Juliet Quin. I live in Canada and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $ 73,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $ 73,000.00 Canada Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs.Juliet Quin that refer you to him. Contact Dr Purva Pius via email: reply to email (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete